[11], She was reduced to Maintenance Reserve at Rosyth on 15 December, 1932. Eight of the Hurricanes ran out of fuel en route due to headwinds and one Skua was forced to crash land on Sicily after it had been damaged by Italian flak. [2], In November 1916, the ship's design was tested in a wind tunnel by the National Physical Laboratory to evaluate the turbulence caused by the twin islands and the bridge over them. [5], The ship's flight deck was 549 feet (167.3 m) long and her hangar was 330 feet (100.6 m) long, 48–68 feet (14.6–20.7 m) wide, and 16 feet (4.9 m) high. [7], Argus was re-commissioned at Portsmouth on 24 January, 1924. [36] The Spitfires were flown off successfully, but the engines of the Albacores all began to overheat and they were forced to return to the carrier. [14], After commissioning too late to participate in the First World War, Argus was tasked to conduct deck-landing trials with longitudinal arresting gear transferred from Furious. In addition, the ship's after lift was permanently locked in the raised position and 150 long tons (150 t) of ballast were added to compensate for the additional weight of the equipment high in the ship. Each of the ship's four sets of Parsons geared steam turbines drove one propeller shaft. This meant she was very steady, but heeled noticeably when turning. Despite an expedited program to refit her for action, she was only launched on December 2nd, 1917 and, after completing her period of requisite sea trials, was not commissioned until September 16th, 1918. Message Board. [24] She was sold to Thos W Ward on 5 December 1946 and arrived at Inverkeithing later that month to be broken up. In November, the ship provided air cover during Operation Torch, the invasion of French North Africa and was slightly damaged by a bomb. The ship was under repair for a month after she reached the United Kingdom, but she required a more thorough refit that lasted from February to May 1943. The time required to launch two aircraft and land one aboard was forty minutes during this cruise, primarily because the rotary engines of the time were very difficult to start. In June, she participated in Operation Harpoon, providing air cover for the Malta-bound convoy. [4], Argus had an overall length of 565 feet (172.2 m), a beam of 68 feet (20.7 m), and a draught of 23 feet 3 inches (7.1 m) at deep load. As well as operating her own aircraft, Argus was used to fly off Bristol Fighters that had been ferried to the Dardanelles aboard the seaplane carrier Ark Royal to an airfield at Kilia on the European side of the straits. As the limitations of existing carriers became more apparent, this design was dusted off and the Admiralty located two large, fast hulls suitable for conversion into an aircraft carrier. An RAF Sopwith 1-1/2 Strutter aircraft taking off and landing on the deck of the Royal Navy aircraft carrier HMS Argus, autumn 1918. The first landings on the ship were made on 24 September 1918 by two Sopwith Ship Strutter aeroplanes from the Grand Fleet's airbase at Turnhouse. [31], In late August to early September, Argus transported 24 Hurricanes of No. The Ship. 151 Wing RAF to Murmansk, Russia. Argus had her genesis in the Admiralty's desire during the First World War for an aircraft carrier that could fly off wheeled aircraft and land them aboard. Sent for break-up at … She was 332 feet 4 inches (101.3 m) long, 43 feet (13.1 m) wide, with 15 feet 9 inches (4.8 m) draught at deep load. (scrapped 1947) [37] By this time the ship's Vickers .50-calibre machine guns had been replaced by 13 Oerlikon 20 mm light anti-aircraft guns. By 1942, the Royal Navy was very short of aircraft carriers and Argus was pressed into front-line service despite her lack of speed and armament. The plan for Operation Spotter I was for Argus to provide fighter cover for Eagle as she flew off the Spitfires for Malta, but the operation had to be cancelled when the long-range fuel tanks of the Spitfires proved defective. [15] The same month, the ship was used in trials to evaluate the effects which an island superstructure would have on flying operations, with a canvas-and-wood dummy island being installed with a smoke box to simulate funnel gases. On her return to the United Kingdom she began a refit. Trials began in April and the lift was widened in October. One source indicates HMS ARGUS was also involved but is not confirmed.) [14][22] She was classified as a Target Aeroplane Carrier and recommissioned on 11 August 1938 with Captain W. G. Benn in command. HMS Argus was a British aircraft carrier from 1918 until 1944. It was a British ship and was used by the Royal Navy from 1918 to 1944. Boucher Service Record. [18], Argus usually operated about 15 aircraft during the 1920s. flush deck). Murray Service Record. After a brief refit, Argus sailed on 14 April for Gibraltar to transfer the replacements to Ark Royal. Argus joined the Atlantic Fleet in January 1920 for its Spring Cruise carrying eight Ship Strutters, four Sopwith Camel fighters, two Airco DH.9A bombers and two Fairey floatplanes. [24][25] Together with the battlecruiser Hood and six destroyers, Argus escorted Convoy US-3, loaded with Australian and New Zealand troops, to the United Kingdom in mid-June. He intended to do this under the 1923–1924 Naval Programme, but this was delayed several times as the ship was needed for training and when she was finally modified it was under the 1925–1926 Naval Programme. HMS Argus was a Royal Navy Fleet Carrier 1918-1946. Renamed Riduna and sold to the Alderney Steam Packet Company in 1926. The ship was also fitted with bulk petrol storage, new four-inch guns that used fixed ammunition, and new radio masts. HMS Argus seen in 1918 in the Firth of Forth. Chilton Service Record. The ship rendezvoused with the other carriers on 5 August for a three-day training exercise to work out co-ordination procedures before the operation commenced and 804 Squadron was deemed not ready for combat. [6], Argus was laid down in 1914 by William Beardmore and Company in Dalmuir, as the Conte Rosso. [10] No arresting gear was fitted as completed. The after lift was therefore lowered 9 inches (229 mm), which allowed aircraft to use the area when the lift was raised flush with the rest of the flight deck. The revised system was successfully tested aboard the carrier Eagle later in the year and Argus' arresting gear was modified accordingly in time for the 1921 Spring Cruise, during which the ship carried ten Parnall Panther spotter and reconnaissance aircraft and three Fairey IIIC reconnaissance aircraft. [11] The ship was commissioned on 16 September 1918. Conte Rosso was purchased on 20 September 1916, possibly because her machinery was more complete than that of Giulio Cesare, and the company began work on converting the ship. Dates of appointment are provided when known. Powered palisades were also needed on the side of the flight deck to help retain aircraft aboard that had not engaged a wire. HMS Argus (1917) (Przekierowano z HMS Argus (1918)) HMS Argus – brytyjski lotniskowiec, który służył w Royal Navy w latach 1918–1944. [42] In March, she was ordered to be converted to an aircraft freighter around the end of the year, but this plan was also apparently cancelled. Together with Eagle, Argus was tasked to provide air cover over Force H as it covered a convoy attempting to get desperately needed supplies through to Malta later in June (Operation Harpoon). In 1916 the Beardmore commercial yard was awarded the contract to complete the half-finished Italian liner Conte Rosso, laid down in 1914, as a prototype aircraft carrier. Whilst in the United Kingdom, she loaded some Supermarine Spitfire fighters and returned to Gibraltar on 24 February. Eagle transferred her Fulmars to Argus over the course of the battle and two more were lost later in the day. Her hangar could accommodate one of the new eighteen-plane Torpedo Aeroplane Squadrons equipped with Sopwith T.1s and provided for storage of thirty torpedoes. Two days later, the two carriers, in Operation Perpetual, sailed to the west of Sicily and flew off their 37 Hurricanes; three of the fighters were lost en route. HMS Argus was a British aircraft carrier that served in the Royal Navy from 1918 to 1944. By April 1940, the ship had been rearmed with two QF Mk V 4-inch anti-aircraft guns on her quarterdeck, as well as three quadruple Vickers .50 machine gun mounts; one of these was on each side of her hull and the third was on the centreline of the quarterdeck. October — First aircraft carrying ship to be sunk in action, (former cruiser) seaplane carrier HMS Hermessunk by U-27. Both Fulmars from 807 Squadron were shot down on 14 June by Italian bombers, but they likely shot down one Savoia-Marchetti SM.79 and one CANT Z.1007 bomber. The National Archives. HMS Argus seen in 1918. In 1920 the ship was modified to make it more stable. The latter ship also carried six Albacores bound for Malta as well, but the weather deteriorated over Malta and their fly-off was cancelled. She displaced 14,450 long tons (14,680 t) at standard load and 15,575 long tons (15,825 t) at deep load. 2 August 1917, Sqn Cdr E. H. Dunningmakes the first aircraft landing on a moving ship, HMS Furious 1914 28 June — Assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand; World War Ibegins. The carrier arrived on 31 May and disembarked all her aircraft, including 800X Squadron. The National Archives. 15, 16, and 17 august 1943, on board hms argus off lamlash. The boilers were taken from scrapped destroyers of the V and W class which were being broken up at Inverkeithing. F This cruise was deemed very successful as 45 landings were made, only two of which resulted in serious accidents, an accident rate comparable to those of land-based units. Operational experience confirmed that the aircraft should attempt to land directly onto the arresting gear lest they be blown over the side of the carrier, as happened three times during the cruise. The National Archives. Page 1 . The Royal Navy originally sought to have HMS Argus in operational service for 1917. May 12, 2015 Joris Nieuwint. HMS Argus (1904) was a coastguard vessel launched in 1904, renamed HMS Argon in 1918 and sold in 1920. In April 1918, Argus was ordered to be modified to a flush-decked configuration after the sea trials of the carrier Furious had revealed severe turbulence problems caused by her superstructure.